[Cus-l] Request for Participation - Generational Stereotype Perception Experience Survey

Jessica Hayes jhayes11 at aum.edu
Mon Sep 25 08:31:09 CDT 2017

**Apologies for Cross Posting**

Good morning!

If you are a currently employed in a professional academic librarian position at a higher

education institution who possess a MLS degree or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program, we invite you to participate in an experience survey<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2fnNcFx&d=DwIFAw&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=Wcw2DK1jSyYu2vW8GUrouU1_uD7H6Z7B53V5KVdtm8w&m=5l_gcmOzxt5HFPrpMSboGweVMOQtIXgnC8B1U-jRAVs&s=VlYvAij70j18iILNr3dFQzresJQhvZy24hZgCEK0R0U&e= > regarding your perception of generational stereotypes in the academic library workplace.

Daily, we see generational stereotypes played out in every form of popular media: TV highlighting the tension between the numerous Baby Boom generation and the smaller, oft-overlooked Generation Xers; the news articles on how Millennials are killing this industry or that industry; and of course, the consistent articles on how difficult it can be to work with, or manage a department full of employees from the various generations. Though there is much information regarding generational stereotypes, little academic research on generational stereotypes within the academic librarianship workforce exists. For the existing research, most of it works from the common assumption that librarians, whether consciously or subconsciously, adhere to popular/common generational stereotypes and view their colleagues from different generation groups in light of this perception

My fellow researchers and I are attempting to discover if this common assumption is actually true. By conducting an experience survey, we hope to uncover what, if any, specific stereotypes academic librarians possess in relation to a multi-generational workforce in the academic library. Ultimately, researchers hope that this research will produce data that can lead to a detailed hypothesis; thus, allowing the researchers to conduct more in-depth research in the near future.

The survey is anonymous and voluntary; it should take 15-20 minutes to complete. We have attached a copy of the IRB-approved informed consent form to this email; and additionally, further information for participants is available at the start of the survey. You can access the survey through the hyperlinked text above or via this link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2fnNcFx&d=DwIFAw&c=GTxgfYI6i4KYikqC6GK_Jzn2mYGEh-v4HEPYCyQcJzU&r=Wcw2DK1jSyYu2vW8GUrouU1_uD7H6Z7B53V5KVdtm8w&m=5l_gcmOzxt5HFPrpMSboGweVMOQtIXgnC8B1U-jRAVs&s=VlYvAij70j18iILNr3dFQzresJQhvZy24hZgCEK0R0U&e= .

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Jessica B. Hayes at jhayes11 at aum.edu<mailto:jhayes11 at aum.edu> or 334-244-3814.

Sincerely,

Jessica B. Hayes, Auburn University at Montgomery

Phill Johnson, Auburn University at Montgomery

Samantha McNeilly, Auburn University at Montgomery

Cecelia Parks, University of Mississippi?