[Trombone-l] Asimo conducts Detroit

Stroeher, Michael Stroeher at marshall.edu
Thu May 29 12:16:57 CDT 2008

I've known human conductors like this, too.

Michael Stroeher
Professor of Low Brass
Department of Music
Marshall University
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
(304) 696-3109

If tis is your first exposure to this gimmick, you haven't read that the
robot's moves are copied from the orchestra's assistant conductor
leading the piece at a rehearsal months earlier.  The robot cannot
respond to anything going on around it.  It is, in other words, a
walking, talking version of the same type of robotic arms that have been
building cars on assembly lines for years.  I'm not impressed.

Raymond Horton