[Trombone-l] Earle Hagen RIP - Urbie Green Connection

Frank Darmiento frankdarmiento at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 15:04:29 CDT 2008

As a postscript to Earle Hagen's obituary I'll pass
along a story told to me by the late Al Green, Urbie's
oldest brother.  Al (who was a marvelous pianist, but
used to play trombone) told me that Earle gave him
lessons on trombone (at some point--don't know exactly
when).  Al, in turn passed his knowledge on to middle
brother Jack, who then passed along the lessons to
youngest brother Urbie.  Al was not given to
exaggeration, and I think I remember the story
correctly.  Anyway, I thought it was an interesting
connection.

Frank

--- Ray Horton <rayhorton at insightbb.com> wrote:

> The world lost another great (and another
> arranger-composer who started
> out as a trombonist).
>
> Earle Hagen:

<http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/27/earle.hagen.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview>