[Trombone-l] Practice for what?

thetubameister@adelphia.net thetubameister at adelphia.net
Fri May 23 08:02:12 CDT 2008

Interesting thoughts...

I wonder, I do - and have done - a great deal of listening.  The odd thing is, as a trombonist and tubist, that I've almost always leaned heavily on baroque music, repertoire, recordings, recital material, etc.  Like, 80% of my listening.  Now, I can probably ID Mahler, but not always the right symphony, Quiet City isn't even on my radar...  But Telemann, Purcell, and Bach are much easier for me, and I've always identified with this music much more.

I think it has created in my a quality in my playing to search for articulation perfection and clarity.  Hear enough Organ, Lute, and even "Switched on Bach", and there's an inherant clarity which is a standard you hold yourself to mercilessly.

I'm not sure listening to the actual pieces repetitively to the point of memorizing all of Mahler's Opuses (Opi?) is as necessary as listening in general.  Being inspired, listen to great artistis of ALL instruments, these are things which can bring us above and beyond our mere repertoire.  And motivate us to go into the practice room time and again...

Just some thoughts :-)

J.c.S.