[Trombone-l] Practice for what?

Roger Harvey rharvey at brassworks-music.com
Fri May 23 02:03:46 CDT 2008

Dear all,
As I contribute to the current practice thread it worries me that we
become so involved with technical matters of playing an instrument
that we forget why we are doing it in the first place. Many players, I
know, just love playing their instrument. For most, I hope, it is more
than that - it's our way of being involved in the hugely stimulating
activity of corporate music-making. I feel that this should never be
forgotten during the hard hours of personal practice. I sometimes
wonder why some people continue to play as they seem not to be
interested in music and occasionally even dislike it. I'm not talking
about a lack of involvement with a particular piece or composer but a
more general disinterest in music as a whole. I decided to test this
out recently at a trombone Masterclass in a leading music college: I
compiled a quiz of 10 substantial extracts, mainly from the core
repertoire (Mastersinger Overture, Schubert 9, Mahler 3 etc) with a
couple of more difficult items (Berg Violin Concert, Elgar
Introduction and Allegro, Monteverdi Vespers). The extracts were
substantial and typical of the composers - mostly openings - this was
not meant to be tricky. 1 point per composer and 1 point per piece -
max 20. 1 student got 13, all others were below, and some well below,
half marks. My wife was taking a trumpet class at another major
college and asked me to do a similar selection for her. 20 pieces this
time, similarly mostly well-known pieces with a few slightly more
testing but still characteristic pieces. One student got 1 point out
of 40! The top mark was 17. One student failed to identify the opening
of Quiet City (the bit before the trumpet starts) in spite of the fact
that he was performing it a final recital in two weeks time. Neither
of these events prove anything but it does support my theory that,
even in the leading colleges, many students take far too little
interest in the music that will be their daily diet should they
succeed in reaching their goal of becoming a professional orchestral
player. I have to ask, why spend so much time in the formative years
of your life attempting to perfect a skill that has no point unless
you have a strong interest in and love of music? Would an aspiring
sportsman spend hours practicing without being really interested in
the game itself?

I think that's a good place to stop.

Regards

Roger Harvey