[Trombone-l] Motivational advice for a growing trombone player

Tom Gibson tbonegib at bellsouth.net
Thu May 22 15:49:08 CDT 2008

Cesar,

When students ask me "how much should I practice", I always tell
them : as much as you want!

Dr. Tom Gibson
tom at trombonelessons.com
Visit me at iTunes:
Trombonelessons.com Video Podcasts
(or just search "trombonelessons" at the iTunes store)

On May 22, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Cesar Gonzales wrote:

Considering this is a forum of discussion for both amateur and
professional
players; I decided that it would be appropriate to ask an amateur
question.
I'm having trouble with maintaining a consistent drive towards self
improvement through daily practice, especially after a big push in my
practice schedule. Say for instance I manage 3 weeks of consistent
3-4 hours
daily practice. I always seem to break down and pull back to 1 or 2
hours
per day afterwords for a week or two at times. What I'm asking is if
this is
normal for a young musician to experience. I'm ambitious and would
like to
consider graduate studies in music, and possibly even a career of
professional performance. Because of this I find managing this
"problem" a
very important issue. What I'd also like to ask is how the members of
this
mailing list manage to stay motivated to keep a consistent practice
schedule. Are there any mind tricks I can use? Is it just pure
willpower?

Thank you,

Cesar Gonzalez
Student at University of Texas at Brownsville