[Trombone-l] Yamaha Serial Numbers?

Walter Barrett walttrombone at optonline.net
Tue May 6 19:02:52 CDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Chris Waage wrote:

> I just purchased a Yamaha YBL-613G, and I'm trying to determine its
> age -
> anyone know of a list of Yamaha serial numbers?
>
> Chris
>

> Chris Waage, Bass Trombonist | chris.waage at gmail.com

Hey, Chris!

No such thing, unfortunately. They actually use a separate run of
numbers for each individual model, unlike, say, Conn, which numbers
all of their instruments in sequence. With Yamaha, they also have sets
of numbers for different finishes, like lacquered brass and silver. It
would be entirely possible to have a lacquer YSL 354 and a silver one
with the same #, and they'd be likely to have been made in different
years! (because they don't make as many silver trombones...)

They call them production numbers, BTW, and for their purposes
(keeping track of production, quality control, etc.) they work fine.
But, I know, it doesn't help narrow down the date of manufacture.

The 613G was made from 1985-1991, the 613 was from 1982-1994, the 613R
was made from 1983-1985, the 613H was made from 1994-2006.

Hope this helps!

Walter Barrett

"One can only attempt to create one's own reality for so long. Reality
proper has a way of insisting itself upon you."
	-Al Gore

Alto, tenor, bass trombones
Bass trumpet, euphonium, tuba
Yamaha Artist/Clinician