[Trombone-l] Henry Brant obit

Raymond B Horton rayhorton at insightbb.com
Thu May 1 11:41:41 CDT 2008

years ago I heard a performance of the American Brass Quintet of Brant's great piece "The Fourth Millennium" for brass quintet (two trumpets and trombone on one side of the stage, representing the mutant humans after the nuclear war, the horn and euphonium on the other side (Or elevated, I forget) portraying vositors from another galaxy.  I had the best seat in the house - sitting on stage, in between the two groups, waiting to play another work.  It was really fun to hear, although fairly difficult to play.  The ABQ recorded the piece on it's classic Nonesuch LP  "American Brass Music" - great recording.

Brant wrote a work for tenor trombone, bass trombone, and piano which i was told was a good piece.  I always wanted to investigate a  performance of  both these pieces here in town, but the fact that they were rental, by the month, made it difficult to plan a performance ahead of time and I never managed it.

RBH