[Trombone-l] Henry Brant obit

chris chris at iris.washington.edu
Thu May 1 11:29:54 CDT 2008

I played in the premier of Orbits. If we are talking about the same
piece.

San Francsisco - Grace Cathedral.

10 choirs of eight, if I'm not mistaken.

With organ.

Very atmospheric. Not loud. Extensive sound effects with mutes. It
called for harmon mutes. Most people
played large bore tenors, but of course no one had harmon mutes.  I
remember Joe Alessi (Sr) of Jo-Ral
mutes made a killing selling harmons, straights and cups to all 80 of
us.

I still have my harmon, straight and cup Jo-Ral mutes, but that is the
only time I used the harmon.

The music made use of space with the trombones in a wide arc around
the audience.

There must be others on the list who played in it.