[Trombone-l] bass trombone solo tone mute

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Sun Jun 22 15:52:40 CDT 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Richard Lee wrote:

> I'm playing Thoroughly Modern Millie soon, and just got the book
> yesterday.  It calls for a number of mutes, one of which is the "solo
> tone" mute.  I found a Humes and Berg tenor trombone solo tone mute, but
> haven't been able to find a bass trombone one.  I've checked Hickey's,
> Dillon's, wwbw.  JoRal and Dennis Wick both make bubble harmon mutes.
> I'm wondering if that would do the trick, or if I need to keep looking.
> Does anybody have one of these elusive bass trombone "solo tone" mutes?
> If so, where did you get it?  Thanks!

    I played Millie on its first run.  As far as a solotone bass trombone
mute goes, "there ain't no sech animal".  I picked up some sheet cork at
an arts and crafts store and wrapped it around the cork on a tenor
solotone until it fit.  Be prepared to play everything down about a half
step with the mute in, though.

    Great book!  Does the bass bone book still double on tuba?  There are
some nice tuba solos in there.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/