[Trombone-l] Trombone-l Berlioz, Beethoven

Howard Weiner h.weiner at online.de
Thu Jan 3 08:45:14 CST 2008

At 10:25 02.01.2008 -0800, John Cather wrote:
>Considering alto trombones were used in Europe for some 300+ years
>prior to Beethoven, I'm not so sure nobody knew they existed.

Alto trombones were indeed in use in Europe for a
long time before Beethoven (although 300+ years
is pushing it a bit), yet they were never as
widely used as most people today seem to think.

Nevertheless, I did not say that "nobody" knew
that alto trombones existed. I said that the alto
trombone was unknown in Vienna during Beethoven's
time – it probably fell out of use there ca. 1619
and was not reintroduced until 1883.

>Without having investigated whether or not Beethoven intended an alto
>for these parts,

Ah! But I have. See my article "When is an Alto
Trombone an Alto Trombone? When is a Bass
Trombone a Bass Trombone? – The Makeup of the
Trombone Section in Eighteenth- and Early
Nineteenth-Century Orchestras," Historic Brass
Society Journal 17 (2005), pp. 37-79.

Howard

--
Howard Weiner