[Trombone-l] quick! what's a "jazz mute" ?

james meador jamesmeador at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:15:47 CST 2007

When I did that piece in the past, the conductor had us try different mutes.
  What seemed to work the best and what most of the brass liked was me using
a bucket to really blend with the tuba and the tenors using cups.  I think
he was going for a really dark-bluesy sound.  I'm sure that is NOT what
Bernstein had in mind, but Bernstein wasn't there, so no harm done I guess.
;)

James

James N. Meador, Bass Trombone
Orquesta Sinfónica de Yucatán