[Trombone-l] Why no bands?

richard.bartkus at cox.net richard.bartkus at cox.net
Wed Nov 30 10:36:27 CST 2005

Maybe it's just a Don Quixote complex, but I do believe that as good as recording & reproduction technology has gotten and most likely will get, there is something magical about a "live" performance that cannot be reproduced.  Who knows, technology is forever improving and the color and character of recording and sampled music is getting harder and harder to distinguish in a test.

However, there are a plethora of intangibles that I don't believe can be replicated by synths or on a recording.  Just one example (and I can give many) is physical mannerisms of of the players;  a lead trumpet setting up for some screaming last night or "stab".  And while I am not a scientist, there is something about live acousitic instruments that I feel in my skin when I am at a live performance whether it's a symphony, a small jazz quintet or just a "real" acoustic piano.

Hopefully it will come around; not the way it was, but it will come around when one generation gets "turned on" and starts paying huge sums of money to hear orchestras and large bands (symphonic or jazz) perform.

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but . . . .

 I Can Dream Can't I ?

Richard