[Trombone-l] Why no bands?

dslide13 at aol.com dslide13 at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 17:44:12 CST 2005

I'm going to puke.

David Gibson
trombonist/educator
www.jazzbone.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Dansatt at aol.com
To: TexasTbone at gt.rr.com; BJMCHAFFIE at aol.com
Cc: Trombone-l at server5.samford.edu
Sent: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:59:36 EST
Subject: Re: [Trombone-l] Why no bands?

In a message dated 11/29/2005 4:10:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TexasTbone at gt.rr.com writes:

All it  will take is one GREAT show with live musicians to do well, and
Vegas  won't have enough musicians to fill all the needed  bands.
--WD

I wish that were true...but too many times in the past few years,  acts
that
started out with a great band are reduced to nothing, because the
majority of
the listening public could care less if there are alot of live  bodies
onstage or not.  Broadway shows start out in New York with "decent"
sized
orchestras (even smaller to begin with these days after the last
theater
negotiation
there) and as soon as possible are reduced both in New York, and
invariably,
on the road.  It's all about corporate bottom line, and many  companies
are
taking the Michael Eisner/Disney approach... cut, cut, cut as much  as
possible
until it starts to affect ticket sales.  It doesn't matter if  you end
up
cutting exactly what makes your product special, because there's
always enough
ignorant public that will buy tickets.

I played an orchestra pops show a couple of years ago with Broadway
star
Linda Eder that was alot of fun to play.  Great charts... big band and
strings.

A few months later, I saw that she was doing the same program on
Valentine's
Day in Ft. Lauderdale at the Broward Center, a beautiful 2500+ seat
concert
hall.  Assuming it would be the same show, I got tickets, and was
dismayed
when we arrived and saw that she was looking very lonely on a  large
stage with
three horns, rhythm, and a string synth.  And the hall was  packed.

Dan