[Trombone-l] No Bands

thetubameister at adelphia.net thetubameister at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 29 15:04:13 CST 2005

Our union(s) also needs to grow a spine - while it might still matter.

Whenever I hear about the Radio City or New York Musicians losing any ground, I roll my eyes at the complicitness of our union to participate in it's own demise.  Some argue the nuances of argument and negotiation, to save a limited number of positions, and thus perpetuating and accelerating the example to the next obstacle and board - "we'll give up anything to work!".  How very shortsighted.

Truly, if we dont say "no" to giving up soon, there will be nothing to bargain with.  It will be a sinch to just go to the canned music.  If we can still hold out ground while they are unprepared to switch, we have hope.

Perhaps we're too late, and we've negotiated ourselve into the position where the only reason to give us anything is to save them from bad press.  That would be sad.

Off the soap box.

J.c.S.