[Trombone-l] Picking a horn & getting my eyes back

Edgar Bateman III ebiii at focalpointmusic.com
Tue Nov 29 13:18:30 CST 2005

This is my first message on the list in quite a while. I have not been
playing as much in the past couple years but have made a commitment to
get back into it for several reasons. As a result, I have acouple
issues I need to address. I know I will have more questions soon.

1) Right now I am up to to about 30 minutes a day of fundamentals(long
tones, flexibility exercises and scales). Have really ventured much
beyond that. Just trying to get some type of chops back. I am currently
playing a Bach 12. For a few years I have had a strong desire to
upgrade to larger horn primarily because of the sound I am hearing. My
question is can I make an accurate assesment of the horn since I am not
100%? I mean my chops are in a totally different place than they will
be 6 months or a year from now.

2) What is the easiest way to get my eyes back. I have tried some
reading in the past couple months and have been somewhat frustrated at
the loss of my eyes. Is there a good way to work back into reading? I
mena reading is not exactly like chops or is it? Do I have to go all
the way back to the beginning?

Edgar Bateman III