[Trombone-l] Why no bands?

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 29 09:18:19 CST 2005

I thought we all knew the answer to this:

BUDGETS.

You should note that the major talk shows, and SOME mid-level shows, do HAVE
bands.  They are now smaller bands, essentially like an eight piece R&B band
format.  So Jay Leno and the Tonight Show, David Letterman, and even TV chef
Emeril have these bands. Smaller shows with smaller budgets often do NOT
have bands.  Also, in earlier days, you had Merv Griffin (a band singer),
Mike Douglas (a band singer) and similar folk who had a band as a high
priority.  No so nowadays.  More comedians. . . aaarggh.

For traveling shows, (i.e. "Broadway" shows) there really is even more
pressure.  These are not supported by TV advertising, but ticket sales.
Often more than they would like of the tickets go out in bulk as "promo"
items.  Adding costs of touring on, the manager has to drop something.  They
can't mess with lighting and sound, and the actors, but the band can go.

When this kind of stuff started happening, Unions tended to blame
recordings.  It is true that high quality recording was a "genie" in a
bottle.  But once the genie is let out. . .it cannot be put back in. . .it
is impossible to "un-invent" the audio recorder. Frankly, it is MONEY that
drives this stuff.

The money thing gets even more interesting if you start looking at the state
of touring music performance.  The groups are smaller and much more loaded
up with automated musical gear, however the show is now made more expensive
because of special efx.  Getting your giant Pig to move through the sky, or
blowing up many flash pots, costs pretty good money.  I often think this is
simply a move from one expense to another, even worse expense.  But the
styles probably drove this and that cannot be turned back.  You can't
un-invent the "Rock Band", or "Rap Group".

Chris Tune