[Trombone-l] Causal Player

dslide13 at aol.com dslide13 at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 09:55:26 CST 2005

I disagree that you're trapped at "your" level based on your practice
regimen. When I moved to NYC, I improved without playing a gig simply
by hearing so many other great players. I was practicing 10 hours a
day, and when I did get gigs I didn't have any chops to play them. In a
conversation with Slide, he told me that I was on the horn too much and
that there were many ways to practice music. Sitting at the piano, or
listening to music were just as important as time with the horn.
Ideally, I find time on the horn to be physical. But, the art of music
is much more.

  If there is a brain working, and a desire for improvement then it will
come. Age doesn't necessarily provide wisdom, but if the proper mental
energy is exerted then one's awareness can broaden and therefore affect
one's musical proficiency. Time on the horn is the physical preparation
necessary to communicate what we've learned.

 David Gibson
 trombonist/educator
 www.jazzbone.org