[Trombone-l] Soundproofing a room

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 23 17:31:09 CST 2005

The widgets that look like upside down models of a city (with all the little
buildings at different heights and so forth) are actually diffusers.  The
heights of the different little raised geometric surfaces are mathematically
calculated to cause a diffraction effect at particular frequencies.  There
could be a variety of frequencies that are needing diffusion.  This makes
the reflections that still occur, less off-putting and more "smooth" in
feel. There is a lot to this aspect of tuning a room (see next para.).

The standard issue textbook on these kinds of diffractors is the book by F.
Alton Everest called "The Master Handbook of Acoutics".  This kind of
diffusor is called a Schroeder Diffuser.  (or may be an enhancment of the
original Schroeder diffuser effect). This effect is similar to a diffraction
grating.  Everest mentions a butterfly wing.  The wing looks tan at a
distance, but when examined under a microscope it has ridges and grooves
which, when hit with white light, produce a color effect. This has to do
with the wavelength of the color and the size of the grooves and ridges.
Diffusion is not the same as energy reduction.  Rather, it is like a
randomizer of the energy.

Anyway. . .I second the notion of looking into stuff from Auralex.  They
have a kind of portable "gobo" like wall that can be locked together and
which should, when added to other measures, be able to reduce sound output
energy once the sound passes by the barrier.   The more measures you take
the better.  It would be much better to put up two, half-inch thick fluffy
wall treatments than only ONE, one-inch thick treatment.  Remember the
interface between the air and the isolation material is part of the
reduction in sound energy.  Three treatments would be even better than two.

Chris