[Trombone-l] Soundproofing a room

Daryl Burch darylburch at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 23 13:56:03 CST 2005

In high school I worked at a truck stop diner as a short order cook.
Over the course of a month I saved every egg carton tray I could (that
wasn't too covered in gunk) for just such purpose. Imagine the amount
of eggs a diner goes through in a day. It adds up quick.

Anyway, yes it does work. But if you befriend some hapless schmoe
working a diner, I strongly recommend lettin' 'em air out for a few
weeks. Otherwise, you'll never get any practicing in, you'll become an
insomniac AND you'll put on about 50#'s. Because as soon as you sit
down with the horn, you'll find yourself drawn almost-zombi-like to
your nearest waffle shack where you'll have an 4-egg Denver omelette, a
half a pound a bacon or sausage (links or patties) with a full pot o'
"road dope"--coffee so thick an' black it'll keep you awake for 6 or 7
states... Then you'll stumble home and spend the rest of the day
watching Springer reruns.

Or at least that's how I spent the summer of '89. But I digress.

Kidding aside....

I've seen the egg cartons & hi-density foam (Auralex) baffles in some
of the dank&stanky rehearsal spaces I frequent in SF. Mainly they
provide deflection points for the sound to bounce off of, and also
absorption. Thick, heavy drapes--like the weight of a stage
curtain--can do alot to dampen sound, too.

In the Dolby5.1 studio at 'Xpression in Emeryville (A/V college), the
studio is built so that no two walls directly face each other and are
covered with dampening baffles. The ceiling has extra dense foam blocks
that look like an upside model of a city--all to provide deflection
points thereby defusing echo and dicipating the sound waves.

The bigger music supplier sites (Music123, SamAsh, etc.) have
"acoustical treatment" sections on their sites. Or your local Guitar
Ctr.

I had a friend in Cinti, that built his studio in his basement and
filled the walls with sand. As much as this sounds like a good idea,
you better own the house you do it to.

So you don't have to fall prey to the diner addiction completely.
  ......if you don't want to.

Sorry to ramble. Apparently I still had some remnants of that last pot
o' road dope left.

-D-
www.radionoise.com