[Trombone-l] Teacher?

Trbnplyr trbnplyr at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 17 09:32:16 CST 2005

I cannot narrow it down to one. My first teacher, David Summers, gave me a
lot in terms of the basics. He played bass trombone with the Kennedy Center
Opera Orchestra, had a terrific sound, beautifully centered. Harry Maddox
was a terrific example. Just listening to him play was awe-inspiring. Larry
Borden was able to help me rebuild my game and also understand more in depth
the respiratory process, and how and what to think about when we play.
However, teachers in reality can only point you in the right direction. If
he/she is a really fine teacher, that teacher teaches the student to TEACH
HIM/HERSELF. Phil Teele gave me a terrific lesson over the phone, and
neither one of us played a single note. Art Sares played IGSOY for me over
the phone 2-3 months before he died, and hearing that played in that
authentic style and hearing him talk about Tommy Dorsey's vibrato and the
THOUGHT PROCESS behind it was truly awe-inspiring. I firmly believe that if
we ever get to the point that we aren't students of the art form, we'd
better pack it in.

Paul Kemp