[Trombone-l] Teacher?

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 17 09:38:15 CST 2005

While I'd have trouble figuring out which was the best of several that I
REALLY, REALLY thought were excellent, including trombone teacher Harold
Diner and a Geometry teacher in Jr. High, a French teacher in Jr. High, a
Choir director (and class piano, music theory) in High School, and
Intermediate Accounting/Cost Accounting prof in University, I do have a
relevant observation about teaching:

The SINGLE most important element is how the teacher FEELS about the
subject.  Those who have an abiding love and JOY about their subject are
better prepared to get the subject across thoroughly and effectively to
students.  That is why Diner did so well as an instructor. . .he really
loved trombone. . .not in the sense that many of us do. .but as a JOB.  He
liked going to work. . he liked the sound. .he liked being prepared by
knowing about trombone.   He didn't "hang". . .he just was a man with his
beloved ART/CRAFT.  He liked being "at bat" . . .trombone in hand (sorry
about the mixed metaphor).

[of course next is sheer KNOWLEDGE. . .someone who loves orchestral music,
but who has never really formally studied the subject, probably won't be
able to lead an advanced symposium into the most subtle aspects of
orchestral music. .but might be a KILLER music appreciation teacher for
first year college students.]

Same thing with the choir director, the math teacher, the accounting
professor and the French teacher.  They obviously LOVED the subject matter.
I could tell easily and I am fairly sure that everybody in class thought it
was obvious too!  I think the human is keenly attuned to very subtle
emotional state cues in the demeanor of another person.  This is essential
to our survival as a human, considering that we are dependant upon other
humans.

Sitting in these classes and taking notes and doing the exams and all, was
really a pleasure overall, because I was "infected" with the joy that the
instructor brought to the subject . . .this grew more and more as more
sessions went down.

Chris Tune