[Trombone-l] your choice

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 16 15:12:19 CST 2005

Exactly right and here's a very good way of expressing it to students
(courtesy of Harold Diner, my teacher, also taught Ira Nepus and Steve
Holtmann):

YOUR STYLE:

"You have to get to a certain level of mastery. . .master all the techniques
so you can play anything. . .but then you will eventually DEVELOP YOU OWN
STYLE"

Hal conceived that much of our duty as a musician is to gain technical
mastery of our instrument (he was already working with such persons as Bill
Bell and Harry Glantz by the time he was sixteen. . .so we're talking
teenage prodigy).  We need to be able to read our butts' off. . .play with
fabulous tone quality, be totally attentive to styles of music and the
"musicology" of what we're playing.  We need to have practiced our scales
and arpeggios. . .loud and soft and in-between. . .crystal clear attacks. .
.liquid smooth legato. . .excellence in high range. . .low range. . .mid
range. . .flexibility. . ability to play fast and very slow, these are the
components of excellent basic techniques.

I would add to that certain additonal advanced techniques such as
"buzz-slur". . .circular breathing. . .multi-phonics, across-the-grain
technique, jazz grupetto style playing. . doodle-tonguing technique. .

Hal went on to say that when you attain it, "your style" is uniquely yours.
. .it is an expression of yourself. . .almost (this is me, paraphasing) as
though you cannot help but have your own voice, which simply arises from the
fact that no-one is able to completely imitate or mock some other person.

It certainly is educational to encompass the licks that you hear from
others.  Transcription is a good way to get these things are incorporated.

Chris Tune