[Trombone-l] your choice

dslide13 at aol.com dslide13 at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 15:23:52 CST 2005

exactly.

David Gibson
trombonist/educator
www.jazzbone.org

-----Original Message-----
From: George Carr <georgecarr at gmail.com>
To: dslide13 at aol.com <dslide13 at aol.com>
Cc: Trombone-l at server5.samford.edu
Sent: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:49:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [Trombone-l] your choice

  I agree with everything you're saying here.  Part of learning the
instrument is learning the "state of the art" - what the commonly used
basic techniques are, and being able to sound like you know what
you're doing.  That standard keeps rising: for instance, in jazz, more
and more "standard" tunes must be memorized, and in orchestral
playing, more and more excerpts must be mastered.  Players who can't
play up to the "state of the art" find their employment opportunities
(and probably their satisfaction behind the horn) limited by it.

But past that basic threshold, there's a whole universe of
individuality and innovation going on: Joe Alessi doesn't sound
anything like Ron Barron, who doesn't sound anything like John
Marcellus, and Slide Hampton doesn't sound anything like Conrad
Herwig, who doesn't sound anything like Wycliffe Gordon.  The types of
innovation are different (e.g. sound, projection, breathing,
articulation, and for improvisors, harmony, thematic development,
etc.), but the principle is the same: beyond just "making the gig,"
players should inject their own ideas/feelings/nuances into the music.
 That's when a listener can identify them ("wow, what a huge sound on
the Mahler 3 solo - that must be Joe Alessi's seminal 1989 recording
under Bernstein" or "wow, I'd recognize Rosolino's soloing anywhere"),
and that's when the craftsmanship turns into artistry.

George

On 11/15/05, dslide13 at aol.com <dslide13 at aol.com> wrote:
> I think that my initial point was to illuminate the difference between
> being a "craftsman" and being an "innovator". One is not necessarily
> better than the other, but there could certainly be a difference in
> profitability. I used JJ, Curtis, Slide and Frank as my
templates...but