[Trombone-l] your choice

George Carr georgecarr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:41:50 CST 2005

> All of the people
> you mentioned have influenced me directly, or through
> recordings,etc...but I respectfully choose to be me and find what I
> have that makes me unique.

Two things on this point:

1 - lots of famous guys have made their mark by trying to copy other
guys.  E.g. Shorty Rogers repeatedly insisted in interviews that when
he put together the Giants, he was just trying to copy Buck Clayton,
and that he still believed he'd be a better player if he sounded more
like Buck.  E.g. Thelonious Monk insisted (during one of his lucid
moments) that he created his style by trying to play James P. Johnson
'stride' and screwing it up.  So, even though we can all aspire to
copy super players' attributes (e.g. Dick Nash's breath control,
Frank's flexibility, JJ's and Conrad's harmonic ideas, etc.) we'll
never really succeed: only Dick Nash sounds just like Dick Nash.  So
there's no harm in trying to copy great players, but no real end point
to it, either.

2 - an exception that proves the rule: a friend of mine got tired of
playing bass in a Jaco Pastorius tribute band and started a solo
project "to express his real inner voice."  I cought up with him after
a gig with that band, and his big complaint was: "I keep trying to
search for my own voice, but when I search, all I find is Jaco."  He
folded the band shortly thereafter.

George