[Trombone-l] Great Moments from Rosolino

Bill Dinwiddie billdin at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 17:15:11 CST 2005

Chris wrote:

"Frank has a unique style of singing which may be a little "outre" for those
who primarily like the more traditional big band singer like Sinatra.  His
is a more "marcato" and quirky style.  I kinda like the style for a bop
group."

I must confess to not having this album until about 2 years ago. Since then
it has become one of my 10 most listened to CDs. This is a fascinating
opportunity to explore the mind of a true jazz giant. When Chet Baker sings,
you can really hear his mind working; and when he plays the trumpet, you can
hear the "instrumental version" of his singing. The similarity of Frank's
singing and playing is also remarkable. He doesn't play and sing the same
licks, but the tremendous time and swing feel is always there. His great
sense of humor, as exemplified by the "wild man" cover art (in a cage
composed of trombone slides), is ever present. We don't get to hear the
"dark side", but then I guess not many people did, and that is just as well.
I would rather remember the sunny side of one of the world's greatest
trombone players and jazz masters.

Bill Dinwiddie
billdin at comcast.net