[Trombone-l] Great Moments from Rosolino

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 14 15:36:57 CST 2005

There we go. . .I KNEW it was only a matter of time.  THE VOCAL ALBUM of
Frank's.  Every tune on this recently re-released WEA catalog item "Turn Me
Loose" is Frank singing AND playing.  You need to get this album, if only
for the hilarious version of "Pennies From Heaven".  In it Frank shows that
he can scat sing with the best and even lapse off into yodelling. . .(the
band appears to "disapprove". . .).

There are also a couple of originals like "Whatcha Gonna Do on Monday?" and
"Please Don't Bug Me", which are cheeky, funny boppish vocals.  They are
pretty damn good.

Frank has a unique style of singing which may be a little "outre" for those
who primarily like the more traditional big band singer like Sinatra.  His
is a more "marcato" and quirky style.  I kinda like the style for a bop
group.  I'd probably get tired of it after weeks and weeks of a five nighter
backing it, but then I doubt that Frank wound up singing this steadily. He
was doubtlessly the perfect guy to just jump in and bring out his book and
pop in a coupla tunes to fill in for a missing act or something.  Probably
steal the show!

And of course every time he plays a jazz trombone solo. . . .YIKES!

You can order this one on:

http://www.oldies.com

Chris Tune