[Trombone-l] your choice... Rosolino footnote

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 14 13:53:28 CST 2005

Yes. . .the mood swings were there for anybody with good understanding of
this stuff (readers of Psychology Today?).  Most probably thought the
appelation was for his crazy sense of humor, or his love of a good time
(e.g. he liked to have a puff of wacky weed every once in a while. . .this,
too is an interesting psychological study in itself. . .turns out musicians
are "sensate" types of personality. .prone to sensory exploration and
experience. . aware of exactly how they "feel" ).

I'd recommend that we focus on the really great musical things Yo-Yo. .
.errr Frank did.  The disease stuff, as striking as the story is. . .is
really just like dwelling on JJ's cancer and his choice to end it all. . .
.it's really just the dramatic "Epilogue" of a life which has so much more
joy and love of music than anything else (don't we all have some
particularly sad event in our lives?).  When I hear the music Frank or JJ
made. . .I can totally foget about all the bad stuff out there.  It soothes
the soul as they so often say.

Everybody dies. . .many much more gracefully or elegantly.  Sadly, two of
our biggest bone-player heros died in a sad and dramatic ending.

NOT everybody plays jazz trombone like these two.  Life can be odd up there
at the pinnacle of jazz bone playing.  And I think it takes a unique
personality to pull off this "jazz entertainer" thing.

I'm just thrilled I got to meet Frank once (really just seconds).  Thrilled
I hung with Conte for twenty minutes backstage at USC.  More than totally
thrilled that I've spent hours with Dick Nash, playing and hanging (you
know, even though Dick and I spoke about a lot of different stuff, I've
never mentioned Frank. . .we did talk about how were were sad about some
other music guys who got stuck on heavy drug activity. . .but I'd rather
think about positive stuff. . .I think Dick is like that too!).  Thrilled
too, that I've spent years playing in sections with guys like Dave Wells,
Mike Suter, Dave Woodley, Dave Ryan, Dan Weinstein, etc.

. . one funny thing. . .so many of us bone players are just really cool,
decent guys and gals.  THAT is an interesting phenomenon!

Chris Tune

PS-I guess a lot of the interest in the darker details is really a desire
toward intimacy.  One of the signs you are truly getting intimately friendly
with somebody is that they will open up a bit about their demons. . .or
darker side.  Nonetheless I always still try and keep at least my peripheral
vision focused on the light.  Otherwise I'll have to trace back with those
doggone breadcrumbs I left on the trail in. . .

crt