[Trombone-l] F attachment tuning slide on Conn 72H

Tom Izzo contrabasstrombone at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 12:29:07 CST 2005

Stephen,

--- Stephen Jones <stjones at umbc.edu> wrote:

> I am new to bass trombone playing.  I have an
> Elkhart 72H (single rotor)
> which I am pleased with.   But a couple of questions
> come to mind.  Is the
> 9" long f attachment tuning slide on this horn
> intended to allow a player to
> play low b natural without having to lip it down?  I
> know many bass trombone
> players now use dual rotors to allow playing low b
> natural in something
> other than 7th position.  But when single rotors
> were still common among
> bass trombone players, did many of them/you keep the
> f attachment tuning
> slide pulled almost all the way out to allow this?

Long before double valve basses became the norm, a lot
of us Bass Trombonists played single valve Basses (and
occasionally still do even if we own 2-valve
instruments)
Yes, MOST 7 attatchment tuning slides pull out to make
E attachments. I played a single valve Bass for 3o
years before I got my first double valve Bass. You
learn to play a Bass in Bb/E as well as Bb/F.

Tom

> Thank you.
>

> Stephen Jones

Tom Izzo
Principal Trombonist, Bristol Renaissance Faire;
Bass Trombonist, West Suburban Symphony Orchestra;
Founding Director, The Naperville Area Trombone Ensemble;
Alto/Tenor/Bass/Contrabass Trombones, Tubas, Euphonium, Bass Trumpet, Electric Bass, Timpani & Percussion.
http://www.Geocities.com/Vienna/Studio/7875/
(630) 858-7832