[Trombone-l] Singing trombonists

George Carr georgecarr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:53:14 CST 2005

> There is a great one, Trummy Young.  He had the loudest super high
> B-flat in the business and he could swing!
> This is a guy who was at the top of the swing era trombonists and yet
> his memory seems to have faded.  Am I wrong?

I know of the guy, but he didn't record much as a leader (as far as I
can tell), and I don't think he recorded more than a few tracks in his
whole career as a singer.  But lots of us younger guys (I'm 33 this
year) hold him in high regard, for his playing with Lunceford's band
and, in his later years, with Granz' JATP.  He's hard to find on
record, though: if anyone could recommend a choice CD or two, I'd love
to hear about it.  I know he's in the background during Satchmo's
performance in Jazz on a Summer's Day, but I've never even heard of
any other footage of his prformances.  At least with Rosolino we have
that one TV appearance from the early '60s.

George