[Trombone-l] F attachment tuning slide on Conn 72H

Jim Preston jpreston1 at cox.net
Sun Nov 13 21:35:49 CST 2005

Stephen,

Yes, the long tuning slide is there for that reason. However, I (and the
others I knew who had a 72H) kept the slide tuned to F and pulled it
when needed. Of course, this was over 35 years ago, and there weren't
quite so many low B's then :-) There might have been some that kept the
slide pulled out. If so, I wasn't aware of them.

I remember playing (in 1968) Fantasie Concertante by Jacques Casterede.
There is a low B at the end of a cadenza, with no convenient place to
pull the slide, so I lipped it down the best I could. It probably
sounded terrible.

There is probably a line inscribed on your slide showing the approximate
location for the B tuning.

Jim Preston