[Trombone-l] more about buckets - make your own

David W. Buckley davebuckley at cogeco.ca
Tue Nov 8 11:30:31 CST 2005

If you save and buy a very expensive bucket mute, you will never again play
a gig requiring it. That is the law of expensive toys.

Very pessimistic today as I've been looking at taxes.

The whole question of blend within a section is interesting. Probably mutes
are one area where there is the most variance in sound. Horns of course are
the other. However it has been my experience that some players will blend
and others wont, regardless of the equipment. Probably 90% of blend is up to
the player. This will hold true I think for most of us on the list. There
still are of course players and groups where the standard of blend is so
high that most of us will never achieve it. Ever listen to the Chicago bones
in a clinic? Is it noticeable to the average audience member? Probably not
but it will be noticeable to some. The joy for us as players comes when the
stars are all aligned and we achieve that magical blend with perfect balance
and tuning. A real high even if most of the audience doesn't know.

Achieved something close  a week ago playing Scheherazade with Symphony
Hamilton, a mostly amateur community orchestra. After all the soloists were
given bows, beginning of course with the violin, the conductor gave the
bones the next bow. We were pleasantly surprised but even more so afterwards
when a faculty member from the music school at the local university
commented on the great section sound. Having spent several rehearsals
encouraging the young 2nd player to use more air and blow louder, I was
especially pleased. I must admit that I may have collapsed on the spot if
there were any more dotted whole notes to play at the climax. ( the climax
is obviously the last part the bones play before the sultan goes to sleep).
These are the times that keep me working at the age of 73.

Regards to all.

Dave Buckley.