[Trombone-l] more about buckets - make your own

Wayne Dyess TexasTbone at gt.rr.com
Mon Nov 7 23:29:59 CST 2005

You know... and I know... the old adage "different strokes for
different folks" certainly applies to us trombonists, especially in
regard to our mute collection.  Folks have suggested all sorts of
concoctions as their preference in a bucket mute.  I gotta tell ya, I
am not one of those Jo-Ral fans.  I had to look before I commented.  I
have one of those gosh-awful things.  I HATE the sound... I hate the
look... I hate the feel.

It doesn't SOUND like a bucket mute... it doesn't LOOK like a bucket
mute... and it surely doesn't FEEL like a bucket mute.  All it is... is
convenient (and expensive).

OK... back up a few years.  OK... back up a LOT of years.  Back in my
younger days, I went down the sorry path of going through this
mouthpiece, then that one... back to #1... on to a new one... tried and
bought more than I care to admit.  I got over it.  I'm down to two or
three mouthpieces that work for me.  I actually LIKE two of them.  I
play a 5G of some kind with my big equipment (88H-SGX), and a 6-1/2 AL
with my small bore tenor (usually a Bach 16M).  The 3rd I seldom use is
when I'm stuck on a lower part and needing more oomph and ease in the
cellar... then I'm on a 2G.  Those work for me.

But zip along about 30 years.  What in the world is up with me lately?
I must have bought a ton of mutes over the last couple of years.  You
guys on Trombone-L are driving me nuts.  Gotta have this mute for that,
and that mute for this.  OK.  I'm in Seattle last summer.  Forgot my
mute.  Dang.  Downtown music store had two choices.  Jo-Ral and some
cheap card-board painted red and white that didn't fit my axe.  What's
up wit dat?  So I buy the Jo-Ral.  Hells Bells.  I didn't know it was a
dang BUCKET MUTE!!!!   But I had heard of Jo-Ral on trombone-L, so it
had to be good.   hmmm (ha)

And I thought I was so suave and cool.

Ah wuz wrong!
--Wayne Dyess