[Trombone-l] Difference?

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 7 20:25:20 CST 2005

I've begun to notice issues of "competence" more and more lately.  I've
noticed that people will often say to me. . . "You sounded GREAT!" , or
perhaps "That was a beautiful solo!", or something similarly indicating
competence. . .

Then when they are walking away talking to others. . . they may be shaking
their heads. . .or maybe laughing . . .there are very many, very subtle
indicators, that they are not quite SOLID in thinking me so very CLEVER.

I've got a working hypothesis:

Playing really well is stupid!  At least playing really creatively on
trombone in a jazz setting is not an enormous sign of a high triple digit
IQ. . .

The way my theory goes: . . . if I were really smart, instead of stupid
(like I had this 180+ "Einstein" IQ), I would have developed the ability to
play crappy guitar (absolutely NOT jazz guitar. . .that would be
self-defeating) and sing these very, very easily composed "Alternative Rock"
tunes that I hear.  I've realized that this is a much more efficient way of
producing music, since many of the musical fragments are used over and over
verbatim by all the different artists who call themselves "Alternative Rock"
artists (e.g. Beck, Morrissey. . .).  This means I could probably write at
LEAST one or two tunes a day all the time (even while leading a very busy
debauched life) . . unless I'm gigging and touring the world. . then I'd
have to rest up a bit from all the drugs, and endless groupie sex sessions
and all the shopping I'd have to do to try and spend all the money I'm
getting from this really awful music I'm pedalling to ignorant masses.

Also, I'd have to get used to throwing temper tantrums.  Right now, that
simply won't cut it.  I'd be fired on the spot.  But in this more
enlightened state, I'd be too, too invaluable to be confronted over
something as trivial as being MATURE.

If I had gone this other route, THAT would be a sign of very high
intelligence.  Not maybe good taste, or sophistication or appreciation of
the HISTORY of music. . .and what music really MEANS. . .but it would be
"smart". .

By now, I'd have a house in Brentwood. . .and a huge guitar collection. .
.and lots of women around all the time. . .probably trying to get at my wads
of cash. .
I don't know If I'd be so FREAKIN' happy as I am now (also my improvising
would be much, much worse). . .but then being STUPID really helps you be
happier (I think this writer Orwell covered this pretty well. ). . .I
recommend it to anyone worrying too terribly much about how WELL they are
doing.

Chris