[Trombone-l] Conn 72H & Remington Mouthpiece

Denny Seifried ddsbstrb at woh.rr.com
Mon Nov 7 12:48:51 CST 2005

Chuck & List,

All of the Conn Elkhart bass trombones used the Remington taper mouthpieces,
that being a 72H, 60 & 62H, 71 and 73H and I am not sure about the Elkhart
70H bass trombone. Remington taper, of course is not the machinist
terminology for this taper, as I remember a thread, either on here or the
Forum, and Gary Greenhoe gave the machinist's term for this taper, as it is
not the #1 Morse taper used by most others, including Bach.

I believe my Conn Elkhart 62H came with some kind of Conn Constellation
(Remington taper) and was given a number, maybe a Conn #3 and was gold
plated.

Most standard Schilke large shank mouthpieces are made in the Remington
length and shank taper, and this is why the don't fit very well into a
Bach-styled receiver. In prior years, I always ordered my Schilke bass bone
mouthpieces by special order, with a shorter and proper Bach taper, to fit
my horns. Luckily, the new Schilke Symphony Series comes standard with a
Bach shank and Bach length.

I also remember making a special order to Bach, for a Bach 1.25G, with a
Remington shank, before I switched to Minick lead pipes (with Bach taper) in
my Elkhart 62H. It only took Bach about 9 months to get it to me and that
was the last one I ever ordered, as I went to removable pipes, shortly after
that deal!

Hope this helps.

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone-Springfield (OH) Symphony & Dayton Jazz Orchestra
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Forum Moderator-Online Trombone Journal Forum (http://forum.trombone.org)