[Trombone-l] more about buckets - make your own

Raymond Horton rayhorton at insightbb.com
Sun Nov 6 18:29:20 CST 2005

Seriously, though, I did design my own bucket mute.  Once, when Ben
Vereen was coming to do a symphony pops gig, the word was sent a few
days ahead for us: "bucket mute required."  I didn't have one at the
time, no store in town had one and no time to order one, so I took a
white plastic bucket that had had paint primer in it (I think the dried
primer on the inside helps the sound, actually) and punched a hole in
the side large enough for the top of a trombone stand to go through and
set at an angle corresponding to the trombone bell.  I adjusted the
bucket and trombone stand so that the bucket matched up with my bell.  I
put a small towell in the bucket, and the sound was quite nice.  Fits in
my mute bag, and could wrap up other things in the towell and keep in
the bucket.

I proudly set up my home-made bucket mute at the Vereen rehearsal.  But,
oddly, but there were no "bucket mute" indications in any of the music,
and not a word from the conductor about using it!

I was so disappointed, but I brought it home and put it on my utilty
room shelf, where my wife saw it and promptly through it out!  But I
made another, labeled it "RAY'S BUCKET MUTE" on the shelf so it won't
get thrown out again at home, and have used it a few times.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist
Louisville Orchestra