[Trombone-l] Talking About Gear...

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 6 18:01:34 CST 2005

This really does sound like someone had Googled "Shires Trombone" and got
Hornguys, Steve Ferguson's website.  Then dutifully copied the text from
Steve's descriptions.  I believe these descriptions are actually not exactly
the same as those on Shires's website.  I'd think that Shires site would be
higher up than Hornguys on a Google of "Shires Trombone", because Google
uses the number of times a website is referenced by any other website that
they have catalogued, to indicate relevance.  That means Shires own site
would be likely to be the highest in this case, unless for some reason
Hornguys gets referenced a lot by lots of other sites.

When ever you deal with anybody on a horn sale, always insist upon Escrow of
the money.  It is worth it for you to offer to PAY all the escrow cost.
After all, you are the one likely to lose all your money and not get the
proper gear, or get stolen, broken or "funky" gear. With escrow, you
indicate whether you received the merchandise in good order, then the
payment is made. This might not help you if you have a good Shires trombone,
but one which is stolen.  There cannot be that many stolen Shires horns out
there.  Look around on the net to see who has announced a stolen Shires
horn.

My reaction to this, is this is someone who doesn't know anything about
trombone selling a Shires horn.  My guess: either stolen, or doing it for
somebody else.  If they are doing it for somebody else, they should be
willing to admit it.

Chris