[Trombone-l] Bucket Mutes

Wayne Dyess TexasTbone at gt.rr.com
Sat Nov 5 17:57:24 CST 2005

 From the player's side, I've been there--done that; got the t-shirt.
But from the listener's and conductor's side -- give me the real bucket
sound every time.  Playing in the stand doesn't come close!!!

Next chapter:  same brand of buckets for good blend.

(duck and run),
Wayne

On Nov 5, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Chris Tune wrote:

> I know some players who think like this (the "null set") about bucket
> mutes.
>
> I say:  "Hey there's bucket here at "G". . .
>
> They say:  "Forget it!"   "Play in the stand".
>
> Some just think it's a pain.   I think some people have a love of that
> old "L'il Darlin' sound and really want to hear the muffled brass.
>
> Chris Tune

Dr. Wayne Dyess, Professor of Trombone
and Director of Jazz Studies
Lamar University Dept. of Music, Theatre & Dance
P. O. Box 10044
Beaumont, Texas  77710
409-880-8146
http://lamar.edu/