[Trombone-l] dg talks equipment???

Daryl Burch darylburch at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 5 15:12:46 CST 2005

We is a fickle bunch, ain't we!?

There's a _beautiful_ Silver Sonorous 4B with F at Best in Oakland
right now. It is pristine with no visible wear. I believe it's from the
early 80's--not sure. Apparently it's been in their stock for awhile.
Maybe because they're asking $2k for it and didn't seem like they'd
budge in price at all.

I tried it out for about a half hour one day. Compared to my Bach 42,
it was a much free-er blow. Very responsive. And could be pushed really
hard without breaking up. Spoke much brighter & louder than my Bach
(using the same Schilke 51C4). Loved it. Would be great for salsa, pit
orchestra, big band 3rd or 4th book, or pop cover bands.

Only thing I didn't love was the ham-fisted feel of the rotary valve.
Felt klunky and bigger than it needed to be.

So.... if I HAD the spare $2k in pocket change. I would pick up that
particular horn. But would make sure I had a couple hundred dollars
more in my pocket to swap out the F-attachment.

IMHO...

-d-