[Trombone-l] Bucket mutes

Chris Tune crtune at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 5 11:50:38 CST 2005

I've been using the Jo-Ral, but lately I've taken up my EZ Buck (7 1/2 size)
again.  The fast change aspect isn't so good (the clips have to be slipped
over the rim of the bell. . .that takes some time), but the space
consideration was what made me want to use the EZ. Sound is fine. . .this is
hard to hear properly out in the tenth row, anyway.  I'd say they all
produce a "muffled" sound.  They take off the higher harmonics of the tone,
leaving fundamental and a coupla few lower harmonics.

Space is at a premium in my mute bag, so I get a better fit in there by
putting the cup part of my H&B cup mute into the bowl of the EZ, and then
slip my small straight mute and plunger into the sides.  The Yam practice
mute is probably what really is taking up space, along with its electronics
and some extra cords, all kinds of slide goop, cleaning rod kit (for a
.30-06 rifle), stand light and extension cord, roll of cheesecloth, tuning
machine (Boss), claves, shaker, etc.

Maybe I should put a roll of duct tape in there. . .that stuff is
miraculous.  I could probably repair a broken cup mute with that, if need
be.

Chris