[Trombone-l] Bucket mutes

Wayne Dyess TexasTbone at gt.rr.com
Sat Nov 5 11:41:12 CST 2005

There's a trick to putting on a bucket mute onto any trombone bell.  My
friend, Lanny Marshall, showed me a quick and easy way to put on a
bucket.  Grab one of the 3 thingie's that attach the mute of the bell
(that's higher edumacation fer ya), and align the other 2 onto the
bell.  It works, but takes some practice.  You'd almost have to SEE the
demonstration to understand.   But grab one of 'em, and give it a try.
Hold by ONE, attach the other two.  It works.

This is one of those "a picture is worth a 1000 words" kind of things.

Lanny, by the way, was lead trombonist with the famed Air Force
Falconaires for over 20 years.  And a heck of a good guy!

--Wayne Dyess

On Nov 5, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Denny Seifried wrote:

> H & B---great sound but impossible to get on quickly, especially on a
> bass trombone, in a rapid passage. I remember playing the A Chorus
> Line tour and there was one, quick change and I sweat bullets every
> night on that passage. Also had my H & B fall off during a rehearsal
> for a R. Clooney gig and hit bari players new bari---he wasn't real
> thrilled either!

Dr. Wayne Dyess, Professor of Trombone
and Director of Jazz Studies
Lamar University Dept. of Music, Theatre & Dance
P. O. Box 10044
Beaumont, Texas  77710
409-880-8146
http://lamar.edu/