[Trombone-l] Bucket mutes

Denny Seifried ddsbstrb at woh.rr.com
Sat Nov 5 10:51:04 CST 2005

I am speaking only as a bass trombonist, concerning the bucket mute
question:

H & B---great sound but impossible to get on quickly, especially on a bass
trombone, in a rapid passage. I remember playing the A Chorus Line tour and
there was one, quick change and I sweat bullets every night on that passage.
Also had my H & B fall off during a rehearsal for a R. Clooney gig and hit
bari players new bari---he wasn't real thrilled either!

Ira Nepus Soft Tone--I like it as a back-up and warm-up mute---mine still
takes quite a bit of time to get it onto the bell correctly for bucket mute
effects---nice back-up, if I forget my bucket.

EZ Bucket---now, this is my favorite bucket as it gets close to the fav. H &
B and changes very quickly and easily. Locks onto the bell like no other!
BTW, you are right, I am on my second one, as I stuffed it into my mute bag
and probable hit something with my mute bag or someone set their horn on my
bag and broke one of the tabs. Steve Ferguson recommends carrying separate
or using some type of plastic container (Tupperware styles deal) to protect
the mute while in gig bag. I like this mute!

Tenor players may not be so picky as we bass bone guys, as our  mutes are so
big and bulky and hard to handle quickly.

I have no experience with the Jor-Ral, as just the size for a bass one
didn't look very functional.

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone-Springfield (OH) Symphony & Dayton Jazz Orchestra
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music

Forum Moderator-Online Trombone Journal Forum (http://forum.trombone.org)