[Trombone-l] Bucket mutes

Mikel K. Smith tbone at brassquintet.net
Sat Nov 5 10:05:37 CST 2005

I'm mute shopping, and curious as to other's opinions on the various buckets
out there - I've yet to be happy with anything I've tried.  FWIW it's worth,
my opinions on what I've used:

Humes and Berg:  Plus:  Sounds good, well made.  Negative: takes somewhere
between 16 measures and a week to get on your bell, and you need a different
one for every size bell you use.
JoRal: Plus: Indestructible, fits a range of bell sizes.  Negative: Sounds
stuffy, takes up a lot of room in the gig bag.
EZ Bucket:  Plus: Sounds good, easy to use.  Negative:  Plastic that breaks
easily, especially the bell clips, and only fits one bell size.
Softone:  .  Plus: Indestructible, easy to put on/take off, will fit a
narrow range of bell sizes. Negative: Sounds like you have a sock in your
bell.

Mikel