[Trombone-l] Why no bands?

richard.bartkus at cox.net richard.bartkus at cox.net
Thu Dec 1 11:23:25 CST 2005

Not sure that there is any argument except the bottom line comment, which Chris already addressed.  SOX is a big deal with any public corporation and it has created it's own little sub-industry to provide compliance software and consulting.

I have worked for several fortune 500 companies in my day job and every time I have addressed the board or any chief officer (CEO/CFI/CIO), when they ask for a bottom line they want to know the bottom bottom line: will we make money or lose money.  If you fudge it and give them some other "cooked" number they will fry you in hot tar.

And I don't believe that the difference in "live" and "recorded" performances is the "clams" or imperfections.  I believe that there are so many attributes to live music processed by our brains that we don't even know of yet, much less are able to recreate in a pre-recorded performance.  I have heard many live performances that had all the accuracy and passion of the recorded version.  I believe that in a live performance there is a connection to the audience which affects the character of the live performance.  I believe my music is better when I have a live audience than when I am in the sterile environment of a studio.

But these are just my opinions and you are welcome to disagree.  My teenagers certaintly do ! <LOL>

Richard