[Cus-l] [EXTERNAL]ACRL ULS TULC Tech Forum - Creating, Promoting, and Assessing Workshops for Research Data Services

Long, Jennifer M jmlong at uab.edu
Thu Mar 2 18:04:23 CST 2023

This email originated from outside of Samford University. Please consider carefully whether you should click on any links, open any attachments, or provide any information.

There are still spaces left for this webinar next week so please feel free to register if you are interested in attending (presenters are from the University of Alabama Libraries).

Join the ACRL ULS Technology in University Libraries Committee for our FREE upcoming Tech Forum.

Title:  Creating, Promoting, and Assessing Workshops for Research Data Services

Speakers:  Vincent Scalfani, Lance Simpson, and Kevin Walker  (University of Alabama Libraries)

Date:  March 8, 2023  (Wednesday)
Time:  1:00 - 2:00 pm Central  (2pm Eastern, 12pm Mountain, 11am Pacific)

Registration Link:

https://secure-web.cisco.com/12muaUeFYP_Ds_ufbvFjhijACe_af4zl-wzd0rImotwLROSNJAQKyl6_HDtZzJ5UvIC2z57MoZASnC2V_XfKZ1XACtN8uY_w_mE6cLsi4o50XtVjS5didkUEVhKgdG6uXq1Nf6sKS15izfmcz4HeoolAx3K2P-xeG1qfLa3-RSdNeJ2vpsVpV5ZHTMhwnDhKB_vvh_N7n8WAGkj6BCjSqS-AXjIveBFg1N0JifqhxRU4cVKK8tnk0D9bkdvu8qJBcHZjqUTZks7dWto9XEPyTcKqrh9v_f-FDNwwSh4Y7nAlg17cxewpi5RtTkqe-kFHU/https%3A%2F%2Fala-events.zoom.us%2Fwebinar%2Fregister%2FWN_oLogTT4bSC-r9Basm14m1g

Register in advance to receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.  If unable to attend the live session, you can register to receive a follow-up email that includes a link to the recording of the presentation for later viewing.

In this webinar, we will review our strategies for teaching workshops on tools, software, and programming languages relevant to research data services (RDS), including Tableau, Python, Bash Shell, MATLAB, DMPTool, etc. We will discuss the history and evolution of our RDS workshops, as well as our experiences with teaching, modes of instruction and learning outcomes, workshops and consultations with our student informatics team, and the overall vision for future workshops. In addition, we will discuss our approach to RDS needs assessment, and our plans for future assessment of individual workshops, and assessment of the program as a whole.

Bios:

Vincent F. Scalfani is an Associate Professor in the University Libraries at The University of Alabama. He serves as the Chemistry and Informatics Librarian, providing subject information support for the chemical sciences and mathematics, as well as informatics support across the disciplines. Before joining The University of Alabama in 2012, he earned a Ph.D. in Chemistry from Colorado State University. His research interests include chemical information, cheminformatics, and bibliometrics. He is an active contributor in the American Chemical Society Division of Chemical Information and the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.

Lance Simpson is an Assistant Professor in the University Libraries at The University of Alabama. He serves as the Assessment Librarian and works closely with University Libraries stakeholders in the strategic planning process, and in assessing library programs. He provides research and instruction support to the engineering and biological sciences disciplines, including coding and systematic review workshops. Before joining University Libraries in 2019, Lance earned his Master's of Library and Information Studies from The University of Alabama, and worked in public libraries where he developed STEM-focused learning labs for teens, and facilitated trainings for national cohorts of youth-serving librarians. His research interests include learning ecosystems, and assessing learning in informal learning environments.

Kevin W. Walker is an Associate Professor in the University Libraries at The University of Alabama. During his 19-year career as a librarian, Kevin has held a variety of positions in both technical and public services. He currently serves as the Director of Branch Library & Research Data Services, providing oversight for three branch libraries and leadership in the areas of instruction and support for data-intensive, technology-infused research. Kevin also acts as the Regional Coordinator for Federal Depository Libraries for the state of Alabama. He earned his PhD in public policy and administration at Auburn University in 2013. His research focuses on the deployment of statistical and data science methodologies toward improved library assessment and evidence-based decision-making.

Sponsored by the Association of College & Research Libraries University Libraries Section (ACRL/ULS) Technology in University Libraries Committee.

Please direct questions to Jennifer Long (jmlong at uab.edu<mailto:jmlong at uab.edu>), Co-Chair of the ACRL ULS Technology in University Libraries Committee.

Jennifer M. Long, MLS | Assistant Professor
Reference Librarian & Liaison to Science Departments
UAB Libraries | The University of Alabama at Birmingham
SL 157C | 917 13th Street South | Birmingham, AL 35294-0014
P: 205.934.6364 | jmlong at uab.edu<mailto:jmlong at uab.edu> | library.uab.edu